Welcome to Check Your Mode

The all-inclusive, ever-changing, and uncomfortably flexible guide to all things music in the 2010's.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Max Richter - Infra: B+



EXT. JOSHUA'S PATIO- SUNSET

The sun is slowly setting as Joshua appears to be fully coated in orange from the strong shade of the sun. He leans on a post pensively, staring at the ground.

Joshua:
(looking up)
You know we can't keep doing this?

Kaitlin:
What?

Joshua:
You know.

Kaitlin:
Seriously, what?

Joshua:
That.

Kaitlin:
Oh.

Joshua turns to Kaitlin and holds her hands, rubbing them, affectionately.

Kaitlin:
(continued)
That.

Joshua:
But what do we do about it?

Kaitlin:
I'm not sure. I need to think. And that thinking's gotta be intense. I mean this is some serious thinking fodder.

Joshua:
(whispering)
I've got just the thing.

Josh walks to the CD player conveniently placed on a bench and PRESSES play. Max Richter's "Infra 5" begins.

Kaitlin:
(surprised)
Woah. You weren't kidding.

Josh walks up to Kaitlin and goes back to the position they were at before.

Joshua:
(still whispering)
Yeah. I just got this album. It seems like it was specifically made for pensive thought in a melodramatic movie.

Kaitlin:
It certainly is dramatic.

Joshua:
(raising his voice)
Like you would know!

Joshua runs off, arms flailing, frantically. Kaitlin SITS at the bench next to the CD player, presses the rewind button eight times to "Journey 1", and RAISES the volume.

Kaitlin:
Wow, no matter how hard I try, I can't help but have my eyes widen at this wonderfully crafted music. I mean, it seems it's either just really emotional piano or orchestral arrangements. Fantastic.

Kaitlin skips three tracks to "Journey 2"

Kaitlin:
Oh, and experimental drone tracks. But it all seems to convey, perfectly, the silent but precious atmosphere of deep, intense thought.

Joshua bursts through the doors to the patio, arms flailing slightly less.

Joshua:
Have you made your decision, yet?

Kaitlin:
No. I think I'll need more time to think. And could you burn me this album? It's exquisite!

Joshua:
You like it? I think it's great. Especially "Infra 5". It's just this rich orchestral piece that you think is going to release this great catharsis at the end, but is undercut by the drone of what sounds like an intercom. Sure, it's a little frustrating, but Max's artistry won't let you take the easy way out.

Kaitlin:
(gets up from bench)
Kinda like emotional blue balls.

Joshua:
Well you're much more experienced in that field than I am.

Kaitlin:
Oh, you ass. Come on. We'll think together, intensely, while we listen to Max Richter's new album.

Joshua:
Sounds good. I need to get to the hospital anyway. That dramatic burst through the doors to the patio has left my arms mangled with splinters, and I'm pretty sure I have some glass sticking out of my palm.

Kaitlin offers her hand to Joshua, Joshua shakes his head, Kaitlin shrugs, and the two walk into the sunset, knowing full well that, by the time Kaitlin returns, her house will be infested with bugs from leaving the patio doors open for so long.



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment