Welcome to Check Your Mode

The all-inclusive, ever-changing, and uncomfortably flexible guide to all things music in the 2010's.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Yellow Swans - Going Places: B+



I expected myself to hate this album before I heard it. A genre whose foundation is based in, more or less, noise (as the connotation of a genre called "drone" would entail) did not initially appeal to me. However, it isn't very hard to find beautiful sounds in Going Places. Furthermore, there aren't any moments on the album that are particularly grating or boring, two qualities I was expecting to hear upon the album's onset. So my final recommendation is this: If you too have preconceived notions on the drone or noise genre, Going Places may be the album that confounds them.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment