Welcome to Check Your Mode

The all-inclusive, ever-changing, and uncomfortably flexible guide to all things music in the 2010's.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Greatest Albums of 2011: #10: E-40 - Revenue Retrievin': Overtime Shift

Original Review Here

E-40 is a 44-year-old African American man from northern California who raps about dealing drugs, struggling to survive, having sex with women and killing people who cross him. I am an upper middle class white kid not even in my 20’s from the suburbs of the Northeast. I have never smoked a cigarette and the most blood I have ever spilled was when cutting my thumb on a broken vase. It would seem that Mr. 40 and I would be exact opposites, and yet, for the entirety of summer 2011, his Revenue Retrievin’: Overtime Shift album positively refused to leave my dashboard. I bumped that album when I did errands and felt like a badass rolling up to TD Bank blasting “Mr. Flamboyant 2K11” with a coffee can full of change under my arm. I played “Beastin’” for a friend while driving on the way to a sushi restaurant, and sang the hook to “Me and My Bitch” while playing Halo: Reach. I recommended the album to a friend of a friend at a bar that NYU undergrads frequent, who was also neither white nor remotely underprivileged. In fact, in the seven months that I have been enjoying Revenue Retrievin’: Overtime Shift, I cannot remember discussing its greatness a single time with a person of African descent.

I don’t really have anything to say about that. I just thought it was interesting.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment