Welcome to Check Your Mode

The all-inclusive, ever-changing, and uncomfortably flexible guide to all things music in the 2010's.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Greatest Albums of 2011: #45: Insomnium - One for Sorrow


Dear Progressive Death Metal,
Where were you this year? We had gotten so close in 2010, what with you taking me by surprise and introducing me to some of my favorite metal albums of all time. I never thought I could get used to growls and screams on records, but with records like Barren Earth’s Curse of the Red River, Enslaved’s Axioma Ethica Odini, and Deathspell Omega’s Paracletus (Not quite PDM but close enough), you showed me the nuance of texture and dynamics, and I came out of the year with a new favorite genre of music.
And then you pretty much disappeared. There were those Omnium Gatherum and MyGrain records, which were pretty good, but they didn’t nearly compare to the wily bout of melodic aggression you had served me just months before. Then, months upon months went by with fewer and fewer metal records to rave about, let alone that of the progressive death metal genre, which was so dumb because I knew, in the back of my mind, that if you were to just show up one more time, I would have some excellent metal to recommend to my readers.
More and more months passed, and I must admit, I felt betrayed by you, PDM. I was smitten with you, but my love was unrequited, and so I was forced to slog through bland progressive rock records and whatever the fuck Lulu was. “What a tease,” I thought. “I can’t believe I ever let it use my iTunes.”
And then One for Sorrow came out, and it was as if your yearlong absence was nothing. The sweeping melodies, the beatific guitarwork, it all returned to my eager ears. It was essentially Curse of the Red River redux, but I didn’t care. It was great! And I ended the year thinking there was still hope. And I still believe that, PDM. I believe in you, but you have to reciprocate, you know? I have and probably will continue to love everything you do, so get off your lazy ass and commission some of your artists to release more stuff. I’m sure it ‘ll be great. 
Humbly yours,
CYM

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment