Welcome to Check Your Mode

The all-inclusive, ever-changing, and uncomfortably flexible guide to all things music in the 2010's.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Greatest Songs of 2011: #42: Cunninlynguists - "Murder (Act III) (feat. Big K.R.I.T.)"


In my opinion, Mississippi rapper Big K.R.I.T. made a lot of mistakes this year that dulled the impact of his excellent debut mixtape, K.R.I.T. Wuz Here. One was that Return of 4Eva, this year’s follow-up, was a bit of a letdown, and the other was that The Last King 2: God’s Machine, his collection of guest spots over his career, did not feature Cunninlynguists’s “Murder.” I mean you couldn’t find a better example of the aesthetic Big K.R.I.T. was pushing for this year than that track. It puts the man’s gruff instincts in a plush setting, but doesn’t sacrifice the power of his penchant for thoughtful lyricism. Here, he raps of Machiavellian foreign policy and social Darwinism while bass bubbles below him and synths envelope the empty space around him. With just one other verse afterwards and a chorus that goes, “If I could get away with murder / I’d take my gun and I’d commit it,” the track settles into a groove that frustratingly dissipates too soon into the ether. Nevertheless, leave it to Cunninlynguists to give K.R.I.T. his best chance to shine this year. It’s good to know at least one thing he’s done since K.R.I.T. Wuz Here has left me wanting more.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment