Welcome to Check Your Mode

The all-inclusive, ever-changing, and uncomfortably flexible guide to all things music in the 2010's.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Greatest Songs of 2011: #37: The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - "Belong"


Let’s cut to the chase, folks. When I say that The Pains of Being Pure at Heart emulate The Smashing Pumpkins, you best believe they know exactly how to play music so faithful to 90’s wimp rock that it’s not long after listening to them that you start vomiting VHS tape and your nipples start flowing Clear Pepsi. “Belong” is the most Smashing Pumpkin-y song TPoBPaH have ever written, plain and simple. This is their apex, and they milk it with power chords loud enough and drums that pop enough to make me forget what the greatest form of flattery is and bob my head like my Ferby did when I asked if it was hungry. Or how the crowd would act at a Beets concert or how Chucky was like when he was hypnotized in that episode of Rugrats. Also, I’m gonna just throw in Pelswick. You get what I mean. 

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment